Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Wooing the Schoolmarm by Dorothy Clark

This is my first book by Dorothy Clark and I really enjoyed it. This book caught my eye because I love historical fiction about schoolmarms. This book is about Willa a woman whose father left her and her mother to fend for themselves. Willa has experienced heartbreak as days before her fiancé runs off. Willa decides that she will be single and teach and then help her mom with the laundry she does so they can stay in the cabin they live in. A new preacher comes to town with his brother's children that he is raising. Willa meets him as he brings the kids to school and you can tell from the beginning they really like each other. Willa's best friend decides she is going to marry him and tells Willa she is her intended. Willa's ex-fiancé also comes back and that also causes some trouble. Will Willa and the preacher find love? Read to find out.

I enjoyed this book and plan to read more in the series. I really enjoyed the town and the characters. There were a couple of things I would have liked better. First I love reading schoolmarm books but not much took place in the schoolhouse and that is what I like so much about those types of books. I also felt like the book dragged a few places and I got so annoyed at the characters for not seeing the truth and Willa and the preacher getting together. Other than that I still really liked the book.

I received a galley from Netgalley and Harlequin in return for this review. I was not required to give a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment