Monday, April 4, 2011

The Caregiver (Families of Honor #1)

Shelley Shepard Grey is one of my favorite Amish fiction authors. So, when I was given the chance to read the first book, The Caregiver, in her new Families of Honor series, I was so excited! I have read a lot of Amish Fiction novels but I really think this is the first one that I have read that had an abusive husband theme. The main character Lucy married a man well liked in the community. She thought she was in love with him. Soon after getting married her new husband abuses and belittles her. After two years of marriage, her husband falls in the barn and dies. Lucy’s cousin Mattie helps her through that most difficult time in her life. Lucy finds out her cousin needs a caregiver since she is dealing with cancer treatments and Lucy decides to go help her out. On the long train ride Lucy meets Calvin, an Amish man, his sister and his Uncle who is coming back to the Amish community after many years of living in the English world. Lucy finds it interesting that they are going to the same place and he is Mattie’s next door neighbor. Lucy is drawn to Calvin but because of her background she finds it hard to trust him. Will they get together? Read to find out the answer to that question. We also learn some about Calvin’s Uncle who is returning from the English world. He seems to be in love with two different women from two different worlds. We don’t learn much else about him in this book though.


I really enjoyed this book. I enjoyed seeing how Lucy would deal with the death of her abusive husband. She seemed to me to be a very strong woman even if a little bit scared. I believe God put’s people in our lives at the right time and I think that meeting Calvin was more than a coinicence. They were meant to meet. Mattie’s breast cancer story line was really interesting too. She loses faith in her journey as she feels God is not there for her. I think people who go through trials, such as cancer, either turn closer to God or turn away from him. I think Mattie was just ready to give up. I hope to read more about Mattie in the next book in this series to see what happens to her. I also want to learn more about Calvin’s Uncle John and the choices he will make in his life.

I was given a digital copy of this book from Avon Inspire and Netgalley. I was only required to give an honest review. This book is currently available. If you love Amish fiction, you should pick up a copy of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment